1971 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH 43210-1210
Ph.D. Georgia Institute of Technology, Robotics, 2019
M.S. University of Colorado at Boulder, Aerospace Engineering, 2011
B.S. University of Colorado at Boulder, Aerospace Engineering, 2011
Before starting her Ph.D. at Georgia Tech, Dr. Krening worked for three years at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, spending two years as a Guidance & Control Engineer for the Cassini Spacecraft orbiting Saturn.
Dr. Krening’s research has spanned machine learning, human-agent interaction, natural language, dynamics, and control for both AI and robotic systems. Dr. Krening’s doctoral work focused on enabling everyday people who are not machine learning experts to naturally and intuitively teach AI agents to perform tasks through natural language. She is currently exploring many aspects of human-agent interaction, including explainable AI (XAI), ethics in AI, and the design of ML algorithms that foster a positive user experience.
Her lab at Ohio State conducts research in partnership with CSEL.
- Krening, S.K.; Feigh, K., 2018, Interaction algorithm effect on human experience with reinforcement learning. ACM Transactions on Human-Robot Interaction (THRI)
- Feigh, K.M.; Miller, M.J.; Bhattacharyya, R.P.; Ma, M.L. et al., 2018, "Shifting role for human factors in an ‘unmanned’ era." Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science 19, no. 4, 389-405 - 389-405.
- Krening, S.; Harrison, B.; Feigh, K.M.; Isbell, C.L. et al., 2017, "Learning From Explanations Using Sentiment and Advice in RL." IEEE Transactions on Cognitive and Developmental Systems 9, no. 1, 44-55 - 44-55.
Papers in Proceedings
- Krening, S.K.; Feigh, K. Newtonian action advice: Integrating human verbal instruction with reinforcement learning. in Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and MultiAgent Systems. 2019.. https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.5555/3306127.3331761, (1 2019).
- Krening, S.K.; Feigh, K. Characteristics that influence perceived intelligence in AI design. in Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society Annual Meeting. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1541931218621371?casa_token=NqnQShQosMgAAAAA:eVnstuQC_t4mO9XQjXR0X_CV05EU4NN77lz5lejBP9T7MI7OIQ-2EYdYUUVq7e5UGgDXdLZBcodl3w&, (1 2018).
- Krening, S.K.; Feigh, K. Effect of interaction design on the human experience with interactive reinforcement learning. in Proceedings of the 2019 on Designing Interactive Systems Conference. https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3322276.3322379?casa_token=U1-WE4ngT_QAAAAA:LKqgRLaS1pHoI8f-60B_371FodJzHVVPB2tYwsYL4T4rHHosh3FRtbPBvKAC8lQyTVcu4LO-Ug2UKw, (1 2018).